MY CHILD, you have no idea how easy it is for men to deceive themselves in this earthly life. Many think that they are living a good life simply because they are performing a few external works. They go to church once or twice a week, say some prayers daily, and
commit no public crimes.
2. Yet, I am displeased with them. In their everyday life, they live as though they depended not on Me, but on themselves alone. In a crowd they are not particularly noticeable for their patience, or kindness, or sympathy, or unselfishness.
3. Many are too interested in following their daily occupations and interests to bother how I want them to follow these things. They do not deny My wisdom in theory. They simply disregard it in practice. They act as though I did not quite understand their daily problems. Actually it is they who do not understand their daily problems. If they followed My words, many of their difficulties would cease being problems.
4. Some people are afraid to apply My words to their everyday life. They are afraid of losing some worldly advantage or earthly enjoyment. These are the people who want to get to Heaven with the least possible inconvenience to themselves. They work, sweat, and suffer, and sacrifice for their earthly interests. Their only check is their fear of hell, not their love for Me.
5. Some people worry their way through life. They do not realize how very interested I am in their daily life, how very dear they are to Me. They act as though I were not interested in their daily needs and difficulties. Too seldom do they think of My nearness, power,
wisdom, and love as they go about their daily business.
6. True, a number of these people are being blindly and foolishly selfish with Me. Still, this is not the case with all of them. The real reason why many give Me a partial loyalty and do only part of what I command, is that they do not see how My words are to be applied in their daily life. They read: “Thou shalt not kill,” and then in the same Scriptures they read how I sent My chosen people to make war on their enemies. They find mysteries and apparent contradictions in the Bible, and so, in their confusion, they make up a religion of their own.
7. For this reason did I establish My Church, I gave My Apostles and their followers the power to preach My Truth to all, and I promised to be with them until the end of time. With My help, My Church will interpret My words and commandments. I did not intend that men should have good will and still go on in doubt, guess-work, confusion and fear.
There is no reason for self-deception in my following of Christ. I can learn His Will through His Church. If my strength fails me, I can double and triple it over and over again through the Sacraments. My daily life proves how true are my faith in Jesus and my love for Him. Am I one of those whose lives prove them atheists or selfish followers with weak faith, feeble confidence, and cool love?
Jesus, my King and Lord, how much more must You do to prove to me Your wisdom, power, and love? I want my daily life to prove that I believe in You, trust in You, and love You above all else. Help me to learn more about Your religion, so that I may appreciate it better. I hope to make better use of Your holy Sacraments, so that You may give me the strength to do what my natural strength can never accomplish. You want me to give You an intelligent service and loyalty. I want the same thing. I hope to begin today to follow You to Heaven. Amen.