St. Maurilius, Bishop of Angers, Confessor
IN the fifth century, leaving a large estate and a tender mother at Milan, in order to serve God in holy retirement, he addressed himself to St. Martin of Tours, by whom he was directed in the narrow path of Christian perfection. He founded a monastery on a hill called Prisciac, near the village Calon on the Loire, four miles from Angers, to which he often retired, even after he was made bishop, and where, after his death, his body rested, and was held in great veneration till it was translated from this church, which bore his name, into that of St. Martin, by Neising, bishop of Angers, about the year 970. It is there exposed in a rich shrine, and has been honoured with many miracles. His life was written by St. Magnobodus, bishop of Angers, about two hundred years after his death, and by others. That which bears the name of St. Gregory of Tours does not seem to be his work. See the Bollandists, p. 64, who prefer his life by Magnobodus. 1
Rev. Alban Butler (1711–73). Volume IX: September.
The Lives of the Saints. 1866. September 13